Wednesday, March 05, 2014

ash wednesday

The other day on Facebook, Glennon from Momastery posted this quote:


Okay friends! My March Motto is as follows: Everything worth doing is not worth doing well. Perfect is the enemy of done. Good enough is the friend of done. In sum: perfect is our enemy and good enough is our friend. 
We need to do it and be done with it. 


So, here I am. Going to try to say something every day, good, perfect, or otherwise!

Ash Wednesday is today, and it's one of my favorite church observances.

Earlier today I had a funeral, and on the casket, when I poured sand in the form of a cross, I said, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Tonight, I will form the shape of the cross on living people's foreheads and remind them that they are dust, and to dust they shall return.

I value the humility of Ash Wednesday, the perspective that it gives.

We are mortal; we are dust; we can do amazing and special things, but we still can die. And that is okay.

2 comments:

terryb61 said...

Excellent sharing. So, is Larry the Cable Guy a prophet when he says, "Git R Done"? :-)
Blessings,
Terry

Becky Ramsey said...

I love Glennon's quote and Ash Wednesday too. I didn't grow up celebrating it, but it's one of my favorite times of our church year. It's comforting to get the ashes and be reminded that I'm just dust and I will be dust again.
It's nice to find you.